A Walk on the Wild Side

welcome

“One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.” - William Shakespeare

Nightshade Potato


Last week I noticed a small plant in my garden that looked like a potato plant. Since I have 25 potato plants in my garden, I figured that it was an anemic or miniature potato.

A few days later I noticed that it was growing berries. HUH?

I know potatoes don't grow like berries, but I thought it was some really weird potato plant and I left it alone.

A little later still, I came across something on the internet (shocker huh?) about nightshade. I nearly did a double take - it looked EXACTLY like my anemic potato plant!

Now tell me, doesn't this look almost the same??

Potato

Nightshade

As I did further research, I found that potatoes are in the same family as Nightshade! So are peppers and tomatoes! After reading this, I ran out to the garden and looked at my tomatoes and peppers. Sure enough, the flowers are all VERY similar!

Who knew?!

1 comments:

upsadaisy said...

Very cool!

Post a Comment