A Walk on the Wild Side

welcome

“One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.” - William Shakespeare

With The Pretty Comes The Scary!


I am terrified of snakes. I don't know why, but they give me the shivers. Kind of like spiders.

*shudders*

I just let the dog out so that she could relieve herself when I noticed that one of my tomato plants had fallen over. I mean, the stakes I used to make a cage until I could buy one tomorrow, fell over. It was laying on top of my tomato plant - oh no! I went down the steps and entered the garden from the back where the fence is loose. (I need to make an opening closer so I don't have to walk so close to the tall grass.)

I fixed the cage - took away the stakes and tossed them aside. "I'll just get a cage tomorrow." I thought and turned to leave. But then I noticed the oddness of my black soaker hose. It wasn't where I had put it.

I reached down to move it, and it moved!

It was a garter snake! Eeeep!

I know you're all thinking - "What a wuss! Those are GOOD for your garden!" Yeah yeah, I know, but they still terrify me.

Normally I would scream and jump back, but something told me not to. Maybe it would launch itself at me and eat me! It was less than a foot away after all. I slowly backed away, and walked around the garden to the opening in the fence. All the time, my eyes never left that long slithery creature.

It never moved, but I could see it's beady little eyes watching me too. I think it was sunning in the evening sun - it's starting to go down so maybe the snake will go find its hideout and stay there.

In the future, I think I'll take a stick and poke the soaker hose before I attempt to reach down for it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment